MIAMI (CNN/WFLA) — A piece of ‘artwork’ featuring a banana duct-taped to a wall sold for $120,000 in Miami last week.
It was made by Italian artist Maurizio Cattelan, who is known for his off-the-wall work.
The piece is called “The Comedian” and was displayed at Miami’s prestigious Art Basel art fair.
But what’s the message the artist is trying to get across?
Some believe the piece is mocking the art world and its inequalities. But others simply say, ‘don’t overthink it.’
There were three editions of this piece, and the third will likely collect the highest price – $150,000.
- Suspect caught on camera trying to break into cars near Mullet Point
- House Democrats, White House lay out arguments before trial
- Washington County woman killed in single-vehicle crash
- Police: 14-year-old girl uses Snapchat to escape her kidnappers
- 50-yard-line mass baptism prompts complaint in Alabama town