MILWAUKEE, WI (CNN) — Just a few weeks old, a baby in Milwaukee came close to dying after becoming the victim of a drug overdose.
The newborn had to be given multiple doses of Narcan to stay alive. Doctors say an overdose at such a young age is sadly not unheard of.
Prosectuors say Versean Anderson faces a felony charge of neglecting a child after his 5-week-old baby girl overdosed.
Investigators say the child’s mother left the baby in Anderson’s care back on May 6. Anderson allegedly told police he purchased cocaine with a friend, and they clean their syringes with a gallon jug of “baby water” on the kitchen table.
Police say, unbeknownst to her, the child’s mother used the “baby water” to make the infant a bottle.
When the mother got home, prosecutors say the little girl had trouble breathing and the mother took her to a hospital in a cab.
While at the hospital, the baby was given two doses of Narcan to counter the effects of an overdose.
“It’s certainly very sad, but it’s not something we aren’t used to,” Dr. Mark Kostic said.
Kostic is a doctor at Children’s Hospital specializing in medical toxicology. Kostic cannot speak directly about this case, but police say the child was eventually taken here for further care.
“The smallest dose would be innocuous to an adult but could be quite dangerous to a newborn,” Kostic said.
The baby’s condition is not known. As for Anderson, he pleaded not guilty to the charge.