MOBILE, Ala. (WKRG) — Father Norbert Jurek, the priest at Sacred Heart of Jesus Catholic Student Center at the University of South Alabama, says he has tested positive for COVID-19.
Jurek posted on Facebook Tuesday, saying in part, “Unfortunately I need to continue to isolate myself until next week according to the doctor’s order. I am truly concerned for your health and wellbeing so if you came into contact with me please monitor yourself for symptoms and avoid contact with any high risk individuals.”
Monday and Tuesday masses were canceled this week. There will be regular Sunday Masses at 11:15 a.m. and 7:15 p.m. by Father Victor Ingalls.
The Mobile Archdiocese released the following statement to News 5:
“We have no plans to close churches. Any priest who tests positive does not celebrate public Masses until cleared by his doctor. We take COVID-19 seriously. To assist in notifying people who may have been in contact with a priest who is COVID-19 positive, any case of COVID-19 of a priest is promptly made public.”
- Postponed by pandemic: Only 27% of Americans have taken a vacation during COVID-19
- Scattered storms likely for the rest of the week, Drier pattern next week
- Marty Stuart, Hank Williams Jr., Dean Dillon to be inducted into Country Music Hall of Fame
- $500 million expansion at the AM/NS Calvert Mill
- Tropical Depression Eleven slow to organize, Expected to become Josephine