MOBILE, Ala. (WKRG) – A student at Spring Hill College has been arrested and charged with rape after a woman came forward and said she was sexually assaulted inside her dorm room on campus.
WKRG News 5’s Meaghan Mackey was the only reporter in the courtroom when he appeared Tuesday morning. She’ll have the latest on WKRG News 5 at Noon and throughout the day.
Vassil Kokali, a senior at Spring Hill College, was booked into jail shortly before 7:00 a.m. on Tuesday morning and is being charged with first-degree rape, first-degree sodomy, and first-degree burglary.
Kokali faced a judge virtually for a bond hearing a few hours after being booked into jail where Judge Spiro Cheriogotis granted him $75,000 bond for his three charges.
The state was seeking $50,000 for each charge.
Kokali is an international student from Italy and was also ordered to surrender his passport.
- Morning fire in West Mobile
- Hyundai recalls thousands of cars over exploding seat belt tighteners
- Five takeaways from primaries in Georgia, Alabama and beyond
- ALERRT active shooter training center developing ‘age-appropriate’ curriculum for students
- Neighbors, town leaders share what spirit of Speedway is all about
Kokali’s attorney to WKRG News 5 outside the courtroom she believes Kokali is innocent and is confident he will be exonerated. She added Kokali has been cooperative throughout the investigation, passed a polygraph test, and turned himself into jail.
Kokali will be back in court for his arraignment on April 6.