MOBILE, Ala. (WKRG) — Chickasaw Police confirmed to WKRG they were called to Chickasaw High School Tuesday morning for a student for a suspected fentanyl overdose.

Chickasaw police say the student, a 16-year-old 10th grader, took a pill in the bathroom or hallway and had the overdose in a classroom.

Chickasaw Police Chief Keith Miller says they got a call around 10:30 Tuesday morning at first for an allergic reaction. When fire and paramedics arrived, they were told it was a suspected fentanyl overdose. The chief says they were told that after another student came forward and said the 16-year-old ingested fentanyl.

Chickasaw police say the teen was unconscious and rushed to the hospital. He is recovering now.

Police stayed at the school for several hours, as the school was placed on soft lockdown as a precaution.

“We want to make sure the school is safe, we want to make sure there are no other narcotics or fentanyl lying around where someone might accidentally come into contact with it and suffer another exposure,” said Miller.

Two drug dogs with the Department of Corrections came to help in the search. “They found no other fentanyl, that’s basically why we called those dogs in from the department of corrections because they are imprinted on fentanyl,” said Miller.

School resumed normal operations around 1:30 p.m.

Chickasaw police say they will not be pursuing criminal charges, but will be in contact with the teen’s parents to see if they can figure out where and how he got the drug, and how it got into the school.

This is a developing story. WKRG News 5 is working to gather more information. We will update this story as more information becomes available.

Stay ahead of the biggest stories, breaking news and weather in Mobile, Pensacola and across the Gulf Coast and Alabama. Download the WKRG News 5 news app and be sure to turn on push alerts.

Stay ahead of the biggest stories, breaking news and weather in Mobile, Pensacola and across the Gulf Coast and Alabama. Download the WKRG News 5 news app and be sure to turn on push alerts.