MOBILE, Ala. (WKRG) — A Mobile man has been convicted of criminally negligent homicide. Rico Washington shot his brother Darrick Washington in November 2016.
It happened in the parking lot of the Salvation Army’s location on Pleasant Valley Road. Rico Washington told police the men were clearing a gun inside of a car when the gun accidentally went off. Rico Washington was originally charged with assault, but charges were upgraded when Darrick died.
Prosecutors argued Rico caused the death of his brother when he was recklessly using a gun. He was convicted after a jury trial in November. Rico Washington has been sentenced to five months in prison with two years of probation to follow.
- 9-year-old Florida boy saves dad who fractured neck in diving accident
- Newsfeed Now: Justice during a pandemic; beer movement goes national
- Los Angeles mayor OKs shutting off water, power to combat house parties and other gatherings
- Tennessee Family celebrates grandmother battling COVID-19
- WATCH LIVE: Senator Doug Jones, UA economist to provide COVID-19 crisis updates