MOBILE, Ala. (WKRG) — The Mobile Fire-Rescue Department went to a fire on Page avenue just off Springhill Avenue in the Crichton area of Mobile just after noon.
Steven Millhouse with MFRD tells News 5 the fire started from a space heater in the back room of the house. Steven Millhouse with Mobile Fire-Rescue said, “The family said that there was a space heater in the back room. They opened the door, they saw smoke and flames in the room.”
The department said leaving a space heater on is a common problem and the situation could have been much worse. Millhouse said, “A mom had the space heater in one of the back rooms and she left for work, but no one knew that it was on and in the back of the home and they smelled smoke. They opened the door, and they saw flames and smoke inside of the room.”
The fire department says when it comes to space heaters, three feet is the rule. Heaters need to be at least three feet away from things that could easily burn like drapes, curtains, trash cans filled with paper and/or plastics, furniture, bedding, table cloths/runners/covers, carpets, and clothing. Mobile Fire-Rescue says never leave a heater unattended and always unplug it when it is not in use. The department adds, never use an extension cord, plug the heater directly into a wall outlet.
The department says the woman and two small children who were inside safely made it out of the house without any injuries. No injuries were reported in this fire
- MFRD: Shooting on Farnell Drive ends on Satchel Paige Drive near McGowin Park in Mobile, two injured
- MFRD: Man shot at Bel Air Mall, transported to local hospital
- Bobby J. Morrow, Olympic medal winner, Harlingen native, passes away at 84
- Photo Gallery: SpaceX rocket blasts off in historic flight to International Space Station
- Mobile Housing Board rescinds Central Plaza Towers eviction notices