MOBILE, Ala. (WKRG) — A Mobile Chick-fil-A honored fallen soldiers over Memorial Day weekend by setting up an empty table reserved for them.
The table at the Schillinger Road location adorned a table with a white tablecloth and set up with several items on what is called the “Missing Man table”. The table was set as a reminder of those who have lost their lives serving our country.
Here is a description of why each item is used on the table and what they symbolize, according to pow-miafamilies.org.
- The table is round – to show our everlasting concern.
- The cloth is white – symbolizing the purity of their motives when answering the call to serve.
- The single red rose reminds us of the lives of these Americans….and their loved ones and friends who keep the faith, while seeking answers.
- The yellow ribbon symbolizes our continued uncertainty, hope for their return and determination to account for them.
- A slice of lemon reminds us of their bitter fate, captured or missing in a foreign land.
- A pinch of salt symbolizes the tears of our missing and their families.
- The lighted candle reflects our hope for their return.
- The Bible represents the strength gained through faith to sustain us and those lost from our country, founded as one nation under God.
- The glass is inverted – to symbolize their inability to share a toast.
- The chairs are/chair is empty – they are missing.
Several other Chick-fil-A’s around the country also set up a table in honor of America’s fallen soldiers.