MOBILE (WKRG) — Mobile business owner and former University of South Alabama baseball player Jimmy Francia passed away Tuesday at age 57.
Francia operated Francia’s Formal Affair on Airport Boulevard in Mobile.
Francia was a star baseball player at Shaw High School. At South Alabama, he hit .308 for coach Eddie Stanky’s last USA team in 1983. In 1984, under first year coach Steve Kittrell, Francia hit .314 and the Jaguars won 50 games.
According to friends and family, Francia developed pneumonia and later acute respiratory distress syndrome, following a recent knee replacement surgery.
- Patient hospitalized for COVID-19 plays violin to thank caregivers while intubated
- Second stimulus check: President-elect Biden’s thoughts on $1,200 payments
- Former dog owner sleeps at animal shelters, comforting pets waiting for forever homes
- Operation Santa helps thousands of children in Northwest Florida
- Jeopardy! shares Thanksgiving message from late host Alex Trebek