MOBILE, Ala. (WKRG) — Two former Mobile Police officers have been arrested and charged with theft.
Former Sgt. Mark Hearn turned himself in Wednesday, months after he left the force during an internal investigation. Hearn was booked into Metro Jail on charges of theft of property and using his position for personal gain. He bonded out of jail an hour after he was booked.
Hearn left the department in February while under an internal investigation, although Mobile Police would not comment on the nature of the investigation.
Mobile Police said the Mobile County District Attorney’s Office is now handling the case.
Earlier in May, Officer Alex Westry was terminated for alleged misconduct on the city’s impound lot. He was booked into Metro Jail Wednesday and charged with theft and using his position for personal gain. As of 5:45 p.m. Wednesday, he is still in jail.
Hearn and Westry are two of several MPD officers to either leave under scrutiny or be terminated in recent months.
- Teens charged with arson after starting fire in Niceville High School bathroom
- Lawmakers push back as Trump threatens to veto defense bill
- Spanish Fort cancels Christmas parade
- MAWSS issues boil water advisory for area near McVay Drive and Dog River
- Tuscaloosa police officer Lillie Leatherwood among newest inductees of Alabama Sports Hall of Fame