MOBILE, Ala. (WKRG) —
UPDATE (9:15 a.m. 10/23/2020) : Mobile Police have identified the diver killed in a crash on I-10 Thursday afternoon as 56-year-old Leland Driskel III.
Mobile Police say a passenger was also in the 18-wheeler who was transported to the hospital with life-threatening injuries.
Preliminary investigation revealed that the driver’s 18-wheeler truck had a tire blowout which caused him to lose control and veer off of the Interstate. The vehicle then hit multiple trees which caused it to land on its side and burst into flames. The passenger was able to exit the vehicle. The driver was unable to exit the vehicle and was pronounced deceased by medical personnel.
UPDATE (5 p.m. 10/22/20): Mobile police say a tractor-trailer hauling Hurricane Sally debris blew out a tire, flipped over, and crashed on I-10 westbound near Theodore-Dawes Road. Police say the driver died as a result of the accident. Crews directed drivers to take the Highway 90 or McDonald Road exits to avoid traffic.
Mobile Police are working an accident on I-10 in the westbound lanes near the Theodore Dawes Road exit near mile marker 13 Thursday afternoon. Mobile Police confirm someone died in the accident.
At 4:30 p.m., Mobile Police are asking for motorists driving westbound to get off on Hwy 90. They expect it’ll be a while before the scene is cleared.
This is a developing story.
- No weapon found on Baldwin County High School Campus
- Mobile police respond to shooting near Trinity Gardens Park
- Unique scheduling forces Saints Falcons re-match just two weeks apart
- Monroe County Sheriff’s Office searching for missing man with medical issues
- Mardi Gras in the fall? Mobile County Health Officer urges organizations to move parades