MOBILE, Ala. (WKRG) — A family in west Mobile continues to pick up the pieces after a devastating fire exactly one week ago today. The damage not immediately apparent on the outside, inside it’s still quite a mess.
Inside this home on Santos Drive in Tillmans Corner you can see what’s left of the kitchen. Homeowner Bobby Rittinghouse says that’s where the fire started last Sunday morning when a pot was left unattended on the stove. That triggered a grease fire that torched the kitchen and left smoke and water damage to just about everything else inside. Rittinghouse wasn’t home when it happened but says when he came back it was hard to see what was destroyed.
“I don’t even know what I’ve lost, been there 25 years, I’ve got things in there I don’t even know I’ve got it’s just sad, it’s hard to fathom,” said Rittinghouse. He lived here with his wife, daughter and sister-in-law. While they get things sorted out with insurance and rebuilding they’re trying to get back on their feet through a fundraising page on Facebook. Rittinghouse says he’s sad to lose so much but glad no one was hurt.