MOBILE, Ala. (WKRG) — UPDATE (2:25 p.m. 4/29/20): Bond hearings have been set for five people charged with the murder of Joseph Carter on Wealthy Street. Bond has been set for the following amount for each defendent:
• Martha Hickbottom: $150,000
• Marlasha Hickbottom: $100,000
• Lacey Hickbottom: $100,000
• Lawrence Buford: $150,000
• Jeremiah Wright: $100,000
Preliminary hearings for the defendants are scheduled for May 27, 2020.
UPDATE : (5:00pm 4/27/2020) — 5 people have been arrested and charged with murder. They are:
- Jeremiah Wright – 20
- Marlasha Hickbottom – 19
- Lacey Hickbottom – 17
- Martha Hickbottom – 35
- Lawrence Buford – 30
They are all charged with killing 39-year-old Joseph Carter.
Mobile Police say officers found Carter dead Saturday just before 7 a.m. Police believe Carter may have been beaten to death.
We do not know if any of the suspects are related. The 5 suspects will be booked into Metro Jail to await trial.
Watch the full Facebook live below.
ORIGINAL STORY– A death investigation is underway following the discovery of a man’s body.
38-year-old Joseph Carter’s body was found outside of a home on Wealthy Street in Mobile just before 7:00 a.m. on Saturday morning.
News 5 spoke with Gwendolyn Martin who lives across the street from where Carter’s body was found and she says he may have been beaten to death.
Martin says she woke up to a call from her sister telling her she found Carter’s body. She recalled the incident, “I came outside and saw a brick on the ground and it looked like someone had hit him in the head with the brick. It really has shaken up our neighborhood to have something this drastic to happen. Right here in front of our home in our yard.”
Martin says Carter’s body was found outside of a storage unit where he had recently been staying in her sister’s backyard. Whether or not Carter was in fact beaten to death has not been confirmed with Mobile Police, but they are investigating this as a homicide.
No arrests have been made at this time.
- ECSO: Man charged with 19 counts of child pornography after K-9 sniffs out hidden laptop
- Mystery mass logout has Facebook users wondering why
- Jake Peavy, Mobile native and MLB All-Star celebrates life and legacy of Hank Aaron
- ASMS closing campus after first COVID-19 positive case
- Health and community leaders work to ease fears about vaccine in NW Florida