Chase involving stolen vehicle ends on Schillinger Road, two in custody

Mobile County

MOBILE, Ala. (WKRG) — Mobile Police were involved in a chase that ended on Schillinger Road near St. Augustine Drive Thursday evening.

Police say two people are in custody after leading police on the chase in a stolen vehicle.

Mobile Police say the vehicle was reported stolen out of Mississippi and attempted to stop the vehicle. The driver refused to stop and led officers on the chase.

Robert Ayer, 28, and Chelsea Haney, 19, were arrested.

Viewer video shows the moments Mobile Police followed the vehicle down Airport Boulevard in heavy traffic.

A tow truck pulled two Mobile Police cars out of the mud that got stuck chasing the stolen truck.

News 5 spoke with a man who says he was working when he saw police speed down the road chasing the truck. Jermaine Wooten said, “I was in the booth and I heard a whole bunch of police sirens and a whole bunch of car tracks.”

The chase ended just outside Wooten’s job. He said, “The police, they was hollering back, stop, stop, stop, put your hands up, I’m going to shoot, I’m going to shoot.”

Wooten said he was painting a car when he heard the truck and police cars. He said, “It slid down the road into the rocks, and when it went on the end-way, the police kind of just nudged him some and they automatically stopped, and all the polices they got out with their guns and all the stuff.”

Wooten said as officers tried yelling to the people inside of the car, he tried getting away from the tense situation. He said, “I got down on the floor as hard as I can, start crawling back to the front of the building.”

Wooten told News 5 he’s never experienced anything like what happened. He said, “Me and my boss, we was real nervous. We couldn’t move out of the booth real quick or nothing, you know, and they just kept on hollering, and they acted like they was just trying to keep driving on the train tracks.”

Police did arrest two people. Officers say Robert Ayer, 28, and Chelsea Haney, 19, were arrested. Wooten said he’s just glad no one was hurt.

He said, “I’m just a little shook right now, but I’m fixing to get back to work though.”


Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Latest Videos

More Video

More Local News

Trending Stories