UPDATE (11/29/20 7:41 PM) — ALEA troopers say 23-year-old Steven Demetrius George was arrested in relation to the police chase and crash in Downtown Mobile Saturday afternoon.
He was arrested on the following charges:
- Reckless Endangerment
- Suspended Driver’s License
- No Seatbelt
- Attempting to Elude
- Possession of a Firearm with Altered Identification
- Felon in Possession of a Firearm
- Possession of Marijuana 2nd degree
- Possession of Drug Paraphanalia
Troopers say George’s arrest is a result of the vehicle pursuit that caused a traffic crash where they found marijuana, drug paraphernalia, and firearms with altered serial numbers in his possession.
He and the passenger of his vehicle, 28-year-old Celia Athina Grijalva, of Summerdale both had outstanding warrants for their arrests.
According to troopers, the pursuit ended after the 2010 Mercedes C300 George was driving began to experience mechanical failure after striking a curb, a Quad-Guard Crash Cushion System, and a 1997 GMC Savana.
No further information is available at this time as ALEA Troopers continue to investigate.
UPDATE (5:18 PM) — Video was sent in showing what looks to be a police chase in Downtown Mobile that may have resulted in the crash on Broad St., according to onlookers.
Local authorities were contacted for more information but there’s been no follow up at this time.
The following video is from Amanda Thornton:
MOBILE, Ala. (WKRG) — A major crash going eastbound on US 98 near Broad street has closed the Bankhead tunnel, according to ALGO Mobile.
Please take an alternate route at this time.
There is no further information or known injuries at this time. WKRG News 5 will update you as more information is provided.
- ‘Tiger King’ legal team expects Trump pardon; planning ‘hair, makeup, wardrobe’ and limo for his release
- 3 family members who share birthday are celebrating apart this year during pandemic
- Suspect in 2016 double homicide in Mobile County pleads guilty
- McConnell said Trump ‘fed lies’ to mob about Biden election
- Trump to depart DC for Florida ahead of Biden’s inauguration