MOBILE, Ala. (WKRG) — A man who a Mobile Fire-Rescue official said may have been trapped in a bedroom during a house fire has died, according to MFRD.

Mobile Fire-Rescue Department says the fire was accidental, started by a curtain caught on a space heater.

MFRD units responded to Kaiser Court just after 5 a.m., on Thursday where they found “heavy flames” at the front of a home and neighbors who said an elderly man might be trapped inside.

“I just went to praying for the gentleman because, elderly gentleman, blind, legally blind,” said Dr. Keith Moore, a neighbor who witnessed the fire.

A 73-year-old man lived alone at the home, and some of his neighbors would take care of him. Including Thursday morning, as they ran across the street to try and rescue him from the flames, breaking windows with an iron flower stand to find him. Those neighbors didn’t want to speak with us on camera but said they called 911 and told firefighters the man was still inside.

“Once we arrived on scene, they were helpful to our crews letting them know that there’s someone still trapped inside, and they gave us the layout, thereby saving us time for us going in and trying to search for a downed person, they were able to tell us exactly where the bedrooms were and where they thought he might be – so the captain could go directly into that room and again save time and again give him a fighting chance,” said Steven Millhouse, with the Mobile Fire-Rescue Department.

MFRD found the man lying on the floor near a window in a bedroom and rescued him from the burning home. The man was treated on scene for possible smoke inhalation and was then transported to a trauma center, where he died.

MFRD says there were no smoke detectors inside the home.

Stay ahead of the biggest stories, breaking news and weather in Mobile, Pensacola and across the Gulf Coast and Alabama. Download the WKRG News 5 news app and be sure to turn on push alerts.