MOBILE, Ala. (WKRG) — Alabama Power said the work that’s being done in downtown Mobile should be worth it in a few weeks once it’s completed.
Royal Street is closed between Government and Conti streets for the next two to three weeks for electrical upgrades.
Officials said all of the work is being done underground, replacing pipes and cables.
While the area is closed, drivers can detour on Dauphin, Saint Emanuel and Government streets.
Officials said the current system is several decades old and the upgrades mean fewer outages and a better experience for people downtown.
“This is a small part of a five year upgrade system we have planned for the downtown area. The work started in 2018 and we’re about halfway through that process. The goal is to provide downtown with more reliable electric service for the future,” Beth Thomas with Alabama Power.
Officials said the next phase of the project will be at St. Joseph and St. Michael streets.
- BIKER DAD: First biker turns himself in for Florida road rage attack caught on camera
- Widow of La. congressman-elect qualifies to run for the seat her husband won
- QB Guru Tom House explains Brees’ longevity in NFL
- BIKER DAD: Florida man accused of drunk motorcycle crash into cop car
- Now you can put Bernie Sanders anywhere, thanks to NYU student’s website