(WKRG) — Several school districts in the News 5 viewing area have announced early dismissals ahead of possible severe weather.
- Mobile County:
- Due to incoming inclement weather, all campuses of Coastal Alabama Community College are closing at 4:00 p.m. today. All night classes and any class scheduled after 4:00 p.m. today are cancelled. There are ground tornadoes expected, so please do not underestimate the incoming storm. Due to the local holiday tomorrow, April 19, all classes will resume as scheduled on Monday, April 22.
- Due to the possibility of severe weather in our area, the University of Mobile is closing at 4:30 p.m. Thursday, April 18. Evening events are cancelled. The ASOTA production of “Brush Up Your Shakespeare,” originally scheduled for April 18 at 7 p.m., has been rescheduled to April 30 at 7 p.m. The university is closed for Good Friday. Classes will resume and offices will open as scheduled Monday, April 22 at 7:30 a.m.
Due to the potential impact of severe weather on the Mobile area, the University of South Alabama will close at 5 p.m. today, Thursday, April 18. All classes, activities and facility reservations scheduled after 5 p.m. today on the main campus and the Baldwin County campus are canceled. The Marx Library, Student Center and Food Court, and Student Recreation Center also will close at 5 p.m. Students who are Mississippi residents are permitted to leave campus at 3:30 p.m. today. Non-essential employees who are Mississippi residents also may leave at 3:30. The University is scheduled to reopen tomorrow, Friday, April 19, at 8 a.m. If there are any changes, an additional update will be sent via email and posted to the USA website and social media.
Escambia County, FL: Escambia County schools cancelled all outdoor after-school activities beginning after 6:30 p.m. A non-student day is already scheduled for Friday, April 19. All Escambia County (FL) public schools and offices will be open tomorrow as scheduled for administrators, teachers and staff to attend meetings or activities as planned.
- Washington County: The Washington County School District will dismiss classes early Thursday afternoon. Students will be released at 1 p.m. and all after-school activities have been canceled. School officials are asking parents to make special arrangements ahead of the storm.
- Greene County: Greene County will dismiss students at 12:30 p.m
- George County: George County will dismiss bus students at 11:30 a.m. Car riders will be dismissed at 11:15 a.m.
As of 3:30 p.m. Wednesday, both Clarke and Monroe Counties will be operating on a normal schedule. Both Mobile and Baldwin County Districts are on spring break.