OKALOOSA ISLAND, Fla. (WKRG) — An Okaloosa County Grand Jury has indicted a woman in the shooting death of her 5-month-old son on March 25.
Maria Rodriguez-Barnes was indicted on charges of first-degree premeditated murder.
She was treated for a self-inflicted gun shot after sending a suicidal text message to her husband, according to the state attorney’s office.
The baby, Jaxxon, was found dead inside her car in a parking lot near the boardwalk on Okaloosa Island.
She could face the death penalty or life in prison.
- Virtual forums scheduled in Pensacola to give input on next police chief
- Week-long discussions begin on Dauphin Island about future of Aloe Bay
- Socially distanced Mardi Gras boat parade set for next month on Fish River
- Four people injured after multiple shootings in Monroe County
- Pensacola Opera season opens Wednesday at Saenger with COVID-19 protocols