MUNICH (AP) – U.S. Defense Secretary Mark Esper says a truce agreement between the United States and the Taliban that could lead to the withdrawal of American troops from Afghanistan is not without risk but “looks very promising.” Ahead of a formal announcement of the 7-day “reduction in violence” deal, Esper said Saturday it was time to give peace a chance in Afghanistan through a political negotiation. Esper spoke while attending the Munich Security Conference a day after a senior U.S. official said the deal had been concluded. In later remarks to a group of reporters, Esper declined to say whether the U.S. had agreed to cut its troop levels in Afghanistan to zero.
(Copyright 2020 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Caught on camera: Robber is in wrong place, wrong time
- Barbie celebrates the 2020 Olympics
- Lost class ring found after 47 years
- Weather forecast forces parade schedule change
- Report: Former daycare worker caught on camera abusing child