PARIS, FRANCE (CBS NEWSPATH) — Youths clashed with police into the early hours of Monday (May 18) in a Paris suburb after the death of a young man in a motorcycle accident, which some in the community blamed on the police, Le Parisien newspaper and residents reported.
The trouble in Argenteuil, a suburb on the northern outskirts of Paris, marks the latest outbreak of disorder as France’s strict lockdown rules to tackle the novel coronavirus have increased social tensions.
Videos posted on social media showed teams of CRS riot police moving into housing estates. Some youths let off fireworks, while bins had been set on fire and police tear gas swirled in the air. These videos were obtained by Reuters from two different sources filming from their homes, both would like to remain anonymous for security reasons.
Please be careful out there, and follow me on social media:
Chris Best is the News Director for WKRG. He’s a husband and father of four. He’s also a motorcycle enthusiast.
- New Toyota Tundra engine to be made in Alabama
- Escambia County to hold Regional Roundup
- Mobile Police investigate possible Brian Laundrie sightings in Tillman’s Corner
- UPDATE: Mobile Police confirm body found near Tillman’s Corner Walmart
- Photos: 4 famous giant trees unharmed by Sequoia National Park fire, fate of others unknown