(CNN) – Scientists thought a tiny deer-like animal was extinct, but 30 years later, the Chevrotain has been photographed in Vietnam.
Despite the nickname and appearance, Chevrotains are neither mice nor deer, but the world’s smallest hoofed mammals.
Researchers thought they were extinct because of the illegal wildlife trade.
Scientists warn that just because the species was found, doesn’t mean it isn’t threatened.
Some want to put conservation measures in place to ensure the Chevrotains survive.
Details of the rediscovery were published Monday in the scientific journal Nature Ecology and Evolution.
- Rocket engine test set for Saturday at Stennis Space Center
- Mass vaccination at Mobile Cruise Terminal still open for 75+ and first responders
- Biden introduces key members of science team, including pioneering geneticist Eric Lander
- Brewton PD looking for suspect in theft from a vehicle
- Mobile County Health Department hosting vaccine event at historic church on MLK Day