MOBILE, Ala. (WKRG) — LifeSouth is partnering with medical centers in Florida, Georgia and Alabama to collect plasma from COVID-19 patients who have recovered from the virus, to transfuse to patients with COVID-19 to help with recovery.
Recovered COVID-19 patients who were tested and found positive, can donate plasma if they have not had symptoms for at least 14 days and test negative by a lab, or after 28 days without symptoms with no follow-up testing required.
The treatment is considered an investigational new drug by the FDA and collected donations will be sent to medical centers to treat critically ill COVID-19 patients. The plasma contains antibodies that may help fight the virus.
Plasma is the clear, straw-colored liquid in the blood that remains when red blood cells, white blood cells and platelets are removed.
Potential donors should email email@example.com or call 888-795-2707.
- Police: Man sent porn video to juvenile while on vacation in North Myrtle Beach
- Airbus: Five years of building airplanes in Mobile
- Submerged vessels and boats pushed onshore could create longterm problem in south Baldwin County
- Mobile Fire-Rescue saves woman trapped by fallen tree, stung by bees
- Stimulus checks: Mark Cuban pushes for $1,000 payments every 2 weeks