UPDATE: According to Johns Hopkins University’s real-time map the U.S. has reached more than 100,000 cases.
NEW YORK (AP) — The United States now leads the world in the number of confirmed coronavirus cases.
According to a running count by Johns Hopkins University, the number of people infected in the U.S. topped 82,000 on Thursday. That’s just ahead of the 81,000 cases in China and 80,000 in Italy.
Italy has the most confirmed deaths of any country with more than 8,000. More than 1,000 people have died in the U.S.
LATEST CORONAVIRUS HEADLINES:
- Investigation underway after man died hours after getting COVID-19 vaccine
- Nurse from Mobile praised for help in COVID fight on the west coast
- Faith Time: Churches continue to adapt to pandemic concerns
- Pharmacy in Grand Bay gets COVID vaccination doses
- ASMS closing campus after first COVID-19 positive case