MOBILE, Ala. (WKRG)- This week on Cooking with John, John Nodar is right at home in the new WKRG Kitchen where Ali Cantrell will be showing John how to make fig-balsamic glazed beef kabobs.
The recipe and instructions are as follows:
- 1 beef Top Sirloin Steak Boneless, cut 3/4 inch thick (about 1 pound)
- 1 medium red onion, cut into 12 pieces
- 1/2 cup fig preserves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Soak four 10-inch bamboo skewers in water 10 minutes; drain. Cut beef Top Sirloin Steak into sixteen 1-1/4-inch pieces.
- Alternately thread beef and onion pieces evenly onto skewers. Set aside.
- Combine preserves, vinegar, oil, garlic, salt and pepper in small bowl; reserve 1/4 cup for dipping. Brush kabobs with some of remaining sauce.
- Place kabobs on grid over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill, covered, 7 to 11 minutes (over medium heat on preheated gas grill, 8 to 13 minutes) for medium rare (145°F) to medium (160°F) doneness, turning and basting with sauce every 2 minutes.
- Season kabobs with salt, as desired. Serve with reserved sauce for dipping.
SAFE HANDLING TIPS:
- Wash hands with soap and water before cooking and always after touching raw meat.
- Separate raw meat from other foods.
- Wash all cutting boards, utensils, and dishes after touching raw meat.
- Do not reuse marinades used on raw foods.
- Wash all produce prior to use.
- Cook beef until temperature reaches 145°F for medium rare steaks and roasts 160°F for ground beef as measured by a meat thermometer.
- Refrigerate food promptly.