MOBILE, Ala. (WKRG) — The Grand Hotel Pastry Chef Cory Kimberly Lyons was in the kitchen with John Nodar to create one of the featured items on their New Year’s Eve Extravaganza menu, Dark chocolate and Satsuma Moonpies.
The event takes place on New Year’s Eve in the hotel’s Grand Ballroom from 8:30 p.m. until 12:30 a.m.
You can check out the full menu below.
For more information and tickets, click here.
RECIPE: Dark Chocolate and Satsuma Moonpie
Graham Cracker Cookie
12oz Unsalted Butter
½ cup Light Brown Sugar
½ cup Maple Syrup
½ tsp Vanilla Extract
3 cups All-Purpose Flour
2 ½ cups Graham Cracker Crumbs
1 ½ tsp Salt
1 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Baking Soda
½ tsp Ground Cinnamon
4 tbsp. Whole Milk
· In a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, cream the butter, brown sugar, maple syrup, and vanilla extract together. Let it mix for several minutes until it’s light and fluffy.
· In a separate bowl, combine the flour, crumbs, salt, powder, soda, and cinnamon.
· Add the dry flour mix to the creamed butter mixture. Scrape the sides of the bowl to fully combine.
· Slowly add in the milk and continue to mix until smooth.
· Remove the dough from the mixer and shape into 2 flat discs. Wrap in plastic and let the dough chill for an hour in a cooler.
· Remove from the cooler and use a rolling pin to roll the dough out to a ¼” thickness. Cut out the desired size circles.
· Bake at 325F for 10-12min
· Let it cool completely before assembling the moon pie.
68 grams gelatin sheets
320ml cold water
800 grams granulated sugar
400 grams light corn syrup
16 each egg whites
Pinch of salt
· Bloom the gelatin in cold water
· In a saucepot over medium heat, combine the sugar, corn syrup, and water.
· In a stand mixer with the whip attachment, whip the egg whites and pinch of salt. Whip until frothy.
· Bring the sugar mixture to 210F. Turn the mixer on high and whip until thick and fluffy.
· When the syrup reaches 245F slowly pour it into the whipping egg whites, making sure not to let the hot sugar hit the whip attachment.
· Melt the gelatin over low heat.
· Add the melted gelatin to the whipping whites.
· Continue whipping for approx. 3-5 minutes to let the mixture cool and stiff peaks to form.
· Pipe right away.
2.5 lbs satsumas
2.5 lbs granulated sugar
¼ cup pectin
· Peel the satsumas and cut them into quarters
· Place the satsumas and sugar together in a large stock pot and let it cook until it’s juicy. Stirring occasionally.
· Remove from the heat and use an immersion blender to create a smooth texture.
· Return to heat and add the pectin, whisking to combine. Bring it to a boil, stirring often. It will begin to thicken.
· Let the jam cool before using.
2 baked graham cracker cookies
Freshly made marshmallow in a piping bag
Cooled satsuma jam
Melted dark chocolate
· Pipe a ring around the edge of one of the cookies
· Fill the center with satsuma jam
· Place the second cookie on top and press down slightly to flatten the marshmallow
· Dip the assembled moonpie into the melted dark chocolate and place on a piece of parchment paper until the chocolate is completely set up.
- College athlete compensation passes final Senate committee
- FDA issues warning to Jimmy John’s over safety violations
- Coronavirus: What Alabama health officials want you to know
- Classmates, neighbors in mourning after bullied 12-year-old NC girl commits suicide
- Ms. Wheelchair Alabama preps for national competition