MOBILE, Ala. (WKRG) — Joining WKRG from the Alabama Cattleman’s Association on Wednesday was Ali Cantrell to show us a delicious farmers market beef and brown rice salad.
It is beef month, and the ALA is celebrating with events. Cantrell said the beef and brown rice salad is the perfect dish to pair with beef month, and it all begins with the marinade.
The marinade includes vegetable oil, thyme, black pepper, lemon juice, minced garlic and honey. Marinading the steak for six hours also helps marinade the beef. After it marinades, you can broil the steak for 12 minutes in the over for a deicious, tender and perfectly cooked cut of beef.
Cantrell showed us a version of the salad with brown rice, asparagus, squash, tomatoes and garbanzo beans.
For more about this easy to make and healthy dish, and more about the Alabama Cattlemen’s Association, watch the full video above.
- 1 beef Top Round Steak, cut 3/4 inch thick (about 1 pound)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 cups asparagus pieces (2-inch pieces)
- 1 medium yellow squash, cut lengthwise in half, then crosswise into 1/4-inch thick slices
- 3 cups hot cooked brown rice
- 1 cup diced, seeded tomatoes
- 1 cup canned garbanzo beans, rinsed, drained
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Combine marinade ingredients in small bowl. Place beef Top Round Steak and 1/4 cup marinade in food-safe plastic bag; turn steak to coat. Close bag securely and marinate in refrigerator 6 hours or as long as overnight. Reserve remaining marinade in refrigerator for dressing.
- Remove steak from marinade; discard marinade. Place steak on rack in broiler pan so surface of beef is 2 to 3 inches from heat. Broil 12 to 13 minutes for medium rare (145°F) doneness, turning once. Remove; keep warm.
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add asparagus and squash; cook and stir 7 to 8 minutes or until tender. Toss with rice, tomatoes, beans, basil, salt and reserved marinade in large bowl.
- Carve steak into thin slices. Serve over rice salad.
Recipe and photo as seen in The Healthy Beef Cookbook, published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
For the full recipe and other great dishes, go to beefitswhatsfordinner.com.