Drexel on the Road: Backyard ninja course works child’s body and mind

Drexel on the Road

BELLVIEW, Fla. (WKRG) — One of the hottest crazes among kids and many adults is conquering ninja warrior obstacle courses. 11-year-old Braidon Fredericksen of Bellview, Florida is one of those kids.

While on vacation in Texas a little over a year ago, Braidon’s dad took him to a ninja warrior gym. Braidon immediately took a liking to the obstacle course and found he has a talent for it. He especially likes the complexity of it.

“Your whole body has to work together to make one thing happen, and then once that one thing happens, you have to go on to a different thing,” says Braidon.

His father, Scott Fredericksen adds, “There’s a lot of mechanics to the elements and the difficult obstacles so he obviously has to use a lot of strength, but also think about things, how to get through it.”

Braidon explains further, “You have to think about it before you get up on it and do it, because if you don’t, when you get up there, you look at it (the obstacle) and say, ‘Wait a second. How do I do this’ and you’re stuck.”

The ninja life has been good for Braidon’s body and mind. Scott says it’s also been good for his son’s ADHD.

“Absolutely. We give him a very low amount of medication for his ADHD. Coming home after school and coming right out here to train, it really burns off a lot of energy.”

Next Friday, February 15, Braidon and family will head to Hartford, Connecticut for the National Ninja League World Finals. Braidon earned his spot in the finals after placing high in several competitions and qualifying events.

“It’s the best of the best. It’s quite the accomplishment for a 1st year competitor,” says Scott.

“I’m nervous,” Braidon says with a smile. “I’m not sure I’m ready.”

Watching him master not one, but two, backyard ninja courses, you get the idea he is more than ready! He also has words of advice for kids everywhere.

“They should at least try to do new stuff every once in a while, because you never know what you’re gonna be good at.”

Braidon is not only good enough to qualify for the world finals, he also made an appearance on the American Ninja Warrior Junior TV show. His episode airs March 2nd on the Universal Kids channel.

If you’d like to follow Braidon on Facebook here’s the link to his page, Braidon the Tornado.

news-app-download-apple-350x50
news-app-download-android-350x50

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Latest Videos

More Video

More Local News

More Mobile County
More Baldwin County
More Northwest Florida

Trending Stories