UPDATE: Friends have identified the 74-year-old victim as Roger Swain of Cantonment. He was a life member of ABATE Gulf Coast Chapter, a motorcycle advocacy group.
They posted about the crash on their Facebook page:
ESCAMBIA COUNTY, Fla. (WKRG/BIKER DAD) — The Florida Highway Patrol says a biker from Cantonment is dead after the 19-year-old driver of an SUV made a left turn in front of him. It happened Sunday afternoon on County Road 97 in Escambia County, Fla.
- Daisy Duke, Catherine Bach turns 67
- BIKER DAD: Motorcycle rider killed when 19-year-old driver makes a left turn in front of him
- BIKER DAD: Look, can you see me now? Bikers ask drivers to watch for motorcycles
- Owners of company involved in crash that killed 7 bikers in New Hampshire charged
- High wire motorcycles: Nik Wallenda’s Daredevil Rally drive-in show returning to Sarasota
FHP says the motorcycle was going southbound on CR 97 and the SUV was going north when it made a left turn in front of the bike. The 74-year-old rider was airlifted to Sacred Heart Hospital where he died. The report says the biker was wearing a helmet when the crash happened.
The crash happened just one day after more than 100 bikers rallied in Northwest Florida urging drivers to look out for them during the Look Can You See Me Now Dice Run.
Please be careful out there, and follow me on social media:
Chris Best is the News Director for WKRG. He’s a husband and father of four. He’s also a motorcycle enthusiast.