(WKRG/BIKER DAD)– The actor who played evil biker gang leader “Toecutter” in the movie Mad Max has died at 73. Director, and friend, Bryan Threnchard-Smith announced the news on his Facebook page: “I am sad to report that our friend Hugh Keays-Byrne passed away in hospital yesterday. A former Royal Shakespeare Company actor who settled in Australia co-starred in my Man From Hong Kong, and achieved world wide recognition as the Toecutter in Mad Max, and Immortan Joe in Mad Max-Fury Road.”
Keays-Byrne was the vengeful leader of the biker gang “The Acolytes” or the “Zed Runners” for those who remember the nasty bikers from the 1975 post-apocalyptic highway horror. He’s an icon for movie and motorcycle fans alike.
Threnchard-Smith went on to write “Hugh had a generous heart, offering a helping hand to people in need, or a place to stay to a homeless teenager. He cared about social justice and preserving the environment long before these issues became fashionable. His life was governed by his sense of the oneness of humanity. We will miss his example and his friendship.”
Please be careful out there, and follow me on social media:
Chris Best is the News Director for WKRG. He’s a husband and father of four. He’s also a motorcycle enthusiast.
- BIKER DAD: Mom has one word for her cancer: ‘Fight’; And bikers are there to fight with her
- California corrections officer killed in motorcycle crash
- BIKER DAD: Caffeine and octane kick ‘Cars and Coffee’ into high gear
- Caught on camera: Man acting strange, armed with gun, machete taken down at motorcycle dealership
- BIKER DAD REPORT: Local movie made with bikers’ help finally gets a release date, motorcycle museum up in flames