SPANISH FORT, Ala. (WKRG) — On November 29, 2019, 83-year-old Billy Ray Edwards thought he was going to die.
His home on Jesse Lane off Highway 31 was on fire. He was stuck inside.
“It was coming fast, then all of a sudden, that smoke was getting heavy, and then the lights went out,” he said. “And I couldn’t tell where I was.”
Then came 18-year-old Demorrist Shaw, Edwards’ neighbor. He kicked down the door and pulled Edwards out.
Tuesday evening, the Spanish Fort Fire Rescue Department recognized Shaw for his actions and presented him with a Citizen’s Medal and certificate.
Shaw, while grateful, dodged questions about the recognition, repeating that he just “did it for love. The street wouldn’t be the same without him.”
News 5 will have video of the ceremony tonight at 10.
- 4-year-old Indiana boy shot while wrestling with his father dies
- Chilly start to Saturday with rain staying out of the picture
- Mississippi announces commercial shark season
- Florida doctor pleads guilty to fraud to acquire controlled substances
- Gulf Power warns of a phone scam in the area