Welcome to WKRG’s “Mark Your Calendar” for Thursday, October 4th, 2018. Today, John Nodar is talking with Lydia Barber about Suicide Prevention.
The South Alabama Out of the Darkness Walk is the main fundraiser for the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention.
The 400 across the USA walk will occur on Sunday, October 14, 2018, in Daphne, Alabama. By participating in our “Out of the Darkness Walks,” you join the effort with hundreds of thousands of people to raise awareness and funds that allow the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention (AFSP) to invest in new research, create educational programs, advocate for public policy, and support survivors of suicide loss.
Thanks to participants and Donors like you, the AFSP has been able to set a goal to reduce the annual suicide rate 20% by 2025.
You can register beforehand or on the day of the event from 1:00 PM – 2:30 PM. There will be entertainment from American Idol contestant, Casey Thrasher. Refreshments will be served. There will be craft projects for kids and information tables on site. Dogs are welcome as long as they are on a leash and you clean up after them. The Walk is 2 miles and will go from 2:45 PM to 3:30 PM. A Butterfly release at 3:45 pm and then we will finish at 4:00 PM.
2018 South Alabama Out of the Darkness Walk
American Foundation for Suicide Prevention
Sunday, October 14, 2018 | 1 pm – 4 pm
Daphne City Hall, Main Street, Daphne, AL
(251) 455-6453 | firstname.lastname@example.org
About The American Foundation for Suicide Prevention
Mission: Save Lives and Bring Hope to Those Affected by Suicide
To fully achieve its mission, AFSP engages in the following Five Core Strategies:
- Fund scientific research
- Offer educational programs for professionals
- Educate the public about mood disorders and suicide prevention
- Promote policies and legislation that impact suicide and prevention
- Provide programs and resources for survivors of suicide loss and people at risk, and involve them in the work of the Foundation
- Led by CEO Robert Gebbia and headquartered in New York, AFSP has local chapters with events in all 50 states.