BALDWIN COUNTY, Ala. (WKRG) — Scrawled in white paint from a rattle can, a stern warning for anyone thinking of using the aftermath of Hurricane Sally to steal.
“Looters will be shot,” the big letters warn, painted on a fence. WKRG News 5’s Debbie Williams share pictures of the warning on her Facebook page:
Although criminals often move into storm-ravaged areas, WKRG asked Orange Beach Police this weekend if there has been any actual looting. Police told WKRG News 5 that there had been sporadic thefts of property, but social media posts about looting were false.
Police across the Gulf have however been warning of scam artists acting as repair workers or debris removal services.
- Oklahoma twins’ TikTok election video gets millions of views
- ‘We deserve to be heard’: Man on mission to make voting accessible to Americans with disabilities
- Tracking the Tropics: Hurricane Zeta crashes onshore in storm-weary Louisiana
- Challengers face uphill battle in Democratic stronghold of South Texas border
- Twitter, Google, Facebook CEOs face questions on content monitoring policies