FAIRHOPE, Ala. (WKRG) — The City of Fairhope is finalizing a deal with Walmart for a 12-acre plot of land the city will use for a new police precinct.
The land is behind the Fairhope Walmart, a spot that Mayor Karin Wilson says is one of the fastest growing areas in the city.
“We want to have a presence there,” she said. “Need another spot where not everyone is having to come downtown then go back out to police a 3-mile police jurisdiction that’s outside corporate limits.”
Additionally, she says the police department has grown significantly in the past couple of years, and officers need more space.
The city wants to get moving on this as soon as possible.
We will have more updates in the coming weeks.
- Mobile has personal credit problems
- Walt Maddox wins fifth term as Tuscaloosa mayor
- SCOTUS considers Arizona voting rights case as House lawmakers debate bill expanding access to polls
- ‘Cause once you’re dead that’s a bit too late’: Dolly Parton gets vaccine, rewrites lyrics to a popular song
- Daphne mayor encouraged by decreasing Covid numbers