MOBILE, Ala. (WKRG) — A new podcast profiles the life of a terrorist from Daphne. “American Jihadi” tells the story of Omar Hammami.
Only the first two episodes are out right now. The creator, Christoph Putzel says he’s trying to answer the fundamental question of why a middle-class kid from suburban Alabama gives it all up for a terror group in the third world.
The last time Hammami made headlines was when he was killed in 2013. Putzel says he had encrypted communications with Hammami. It’s not clear if he communicated with Hammami after 2012. The Daphne-born member of Al-Shabaab reportedly talks about his zeal early in his time in Somalia. That turned sour at some point. Hammami talks about a rift within the organization and how he went from being their young western face of recruiting to someone who feared for his life within Al-Shabaab.
The podcast also talks about the challenge of getting this story and continuing secret communications with one of the world’s most wanted terrorists. The podcast is eight episodes and is available wherever you get your podcasts. I contacted Putzel via email on Tuesday morning. He says he’s still writing the podcast and declined an interview until after the podcast wraps in January.
- Alabama woman shot by deputies after the discovery of a man’s body in St. Clair County
- Couple married 63 years reunites after spending months apart due to pandemic
- High Rain Chances Now with Drier Days Ahead
- UPDATE: Bus carrying 40 passengers, semi-truck crash on I-10
- Unsettled weather sticks around for a few more days