MONTGOMERY, Ala. (AP) – The Alabama prison system says that a third inmate has died after testing positive for COVID-19 as the number of cases among inmates and staff continued to rise.
Clarence Shepherd, an 80-year-old inmate at St. Clair Correctional Facility died Friday after testing positive for coronavirus.
The prison system said a total of 119 staff and contract workers and 28 inmates have tested positive for COVID-19 .Twenty-nine of those staff members have returned to work.
Inmate advocates and health experts have expressed concerns that the state’s overcrowded prisons would become a breeding ground for a deadly outbreak and urged the state to make additional changes.
- Pres. Trump pardons former top strategist Steve Bannon, 72 others and 70 commutations
- New, more contagious strain of coronavirus fuels spike in Southern California cases
- 3 title game quarterbacks have similar draft history
- What to expect at an inauguration unlike any other
- On Day One, Biden to undo Trump policies on climate, virus