MONTGOMERY, Ala. (AP) – The Alabama prison system says that a third inmate has died after testing positive for COVID-19 as the number of cases among inmates and staff continued to rise.
Clarence Shepherd, an 80-year-old inmate at St. Clair Correctional Facility died Friday after testing positive for coronavirus.
The prison system said a total of 119 staff and contract workers and 28 inmates have tested positive for COVID-19 .Twenty-nine of those staff members have returned to work.
Inmate advocates and health experts have expressed concerns that the state’s overcrowded prisons would become a breeding ground for a deadly outbreak and urged the state to make additional changes.
- Mom fights off masked attacker who grabbed her, toddler outside California home
- WATCH: Locals thank out-of-town power crews for help with Hurricane Sally
- Park officials: Goal is to reopen shortened Gulf State Pier until it can be completely fixed
- Tijuana police clear out criminal element who prey on border commuters
- Mobile man says American Cancer Society helping fund his cancer treatment