BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (WIAT) — Birmingham Fire and Rescue crews are investigating a fire at St. Mark the Evangelist Catholic Church Sunday afternoon.
Around 2:16 p.m. crews responded to call of a fire at the church. They arrived upon seeing heavy smoke. They are now putting out any hot spots, Birmingham Fire officials say.
At this time, authorities are investigating to find the cause of the fire. It’s not clear if the fire was started by a lightning strike. There was no one was in the building at the time of the fire.
Check back for more updates.
- Postponed by pandemic: Only 27% of Americans have taken a vacation during COVID-19
- Scattered storms likely for the rest of the week, Drier pattern next week
- Marty Stuart, Hank Williams Jr., Dean Dillon to be inducted into Country Music Hall of Fame
- $500 million expansion at the AM/NS Calvert Mill
- Tropical Depression Eleven slow to organize, Expected to become Josephine