BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (WIAT) — Health officials have placed two trays of the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine in quarantine due to a change in the vaccine’s storage temperature while being transported to Alabama.
The news was announced Wednesday during an Operation Warp Speed press conference. According to Gen. Gustave Perna, who oversees logistics for Operation Warp Speed, the doses never left transportation trucks and were returned to Pfizer.
Each tray of the vaccine contains around 975 doses which are supposed to be kept between -80 and -60 degrees Celsius. The trays that were returned somehow dropped to -92 degrees Celsius.
“We’re working with the FDA now, CDC, FDA and Pfizer to determine if that anomaly is safe or not, but we’re taking no chances and we can see that,” Perna said.
Perna says the same anomaly occurred with two trays at two different locations in California.
No other information has been released at this time.
- How much do tickets to Super Bowl LV in Tampa cost right now?
- NFC Matchups: Where else to start but Brady and Rodgers?
- Missing child reported in Duval County Florida
- Suspect in December Satsuma shooting death booked into Mobile Metro Jail
- ECSO: Man charged with 19 counts of child pornography after K-9 sniffs out hidden laptop