Bill to Restrict Smoking Dies in Alabama

Bill to Restrict Smoking Dies in Alabama

Posted: Updated:
Legislation to ban smoking in many Alabama businesses has died.
    
The bill by Democratic Sen. Vivian Davis Figures of Mobile failed in the House Health Committee 4-7 Wednesday.
    
The government relations director of the American Cancer Society's Cancer Action Network, Ginny Campbell, says she's glad the bill was killed because it was rewritten by the Senate last month to add too many exceptions. The exceptions included bars, private clubs, retail tobacco outlets and electronic cigarettes. Campbell says all employees, including those in bars, deserve to breathe clean air. She says the organization will start over with another bill next year.
    
Figures has worked for 16 years to reduce the public's exposure to secondhand smoke. She started by getting smoking stopped in the Statehouse in Montgomery.
  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Lawsuit: Failed Circumcision Never Happened

    Lawsuit: Failed Circumcision Never Happened

    Tuesday, July 29 2014 3:33 PM EDT2014-07-29 19:33:55 GMT
    Doctors accused of amputating a man’s penis during a circumcision asking for dismissal
    Doctors accused of amputating a man’s penis during a circumcision asking for dismissal
  • Family: No Answers in Fatal Causeway Crash

    Family: No Answers in Fatal Causeway Crash

    Tuesday, July 29 2014 10:13 PM EDT2014-07-30 02:13:56 GMT
    The family of the man killed in Monday’s fatal accident on the causeway says they are also still trying to figure out exactly what happened.
    The family of the man killed in Monday’s fatal accident on the causeway says they are also still trying to figure out exactly what happened.
  • Officials Warn of Flesh-Eating Bacteria

    Officials Warn of Flesh-Eating Bacteria

    Wednesday, July 30 2014 10:58 AM EDT2014-07-30 14:58:25 GMT
    Health officials have issued a warning against eating raw oysters and exposing open wounds to coastal and inland waters after one person died and another was sickened by a flesh-eating bacteria.
    Health officials have issued a warning against eating raw oysters and exposing open wounds to coastal and inland waters after one person died and another was sickened by a flesh-eating bacteria.
Powered by WorldNow

555 Broadcast Dr,
Mobile AL 36606

Telephone: 251.479.5555
Fax: 251.473.8130
Email: news5@wkrg.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.