Family of Six Escapes House Fire

Family of Six Escapes House Fire

Posted: Updated:
MOBILE, Ala. -

Mobile Fire Rescue Department investigators are trying to figure out what sparked an early morning fire on Bishop Wilmer Drive off Dauphin Island Parkway. According to MFRD spokesman Steve Huffman, a 16-year old discovered the fire around 3:30am Thursday morning.

The teen woke up the rest of the family and she, an adult and four other children were able to escape to safety.

Huffman says it appears the fire started in the kitchen around the stove area. The adult says she lit a cigarette from a burner on the stove top. A pan of grease was sitting on the stove. Investigators believe the burner was left on and heated the grease, which then caused the fire.

Fire officials say the fire spread from the kitchen to the dining room, bedroom and into the attic, causing heavy smoke and heat damage, estimated at about $80,000.

The American Red Cross Gulf Coast Chapter is helping the family.

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Three Pitbulls Maul Toddler

    Three Pitbulls Maul Toddler

    Thursday, July 24 2014 11:04 AM EDT2014-07-24 15:04:23 GMT
    An 18 month old victim was being treated by medical staff for numerous bites to the face and head.
    An 18 month old victim was being treated by medical staff for numerous bites to the face and head.
  • 2 Dead in Baldwin Co. Plane Crash

    2 Dead in Baldwin Co. Plane Crash

    Thursday, July 24 2014 12:12 PM EDT2014-07-24 16:12:35 GMT
    Authorities say two people are dead after a sightseeing airplane that took off in Pensacola, Florida, crashed in remote southwest Alabama.
    Authorities say two people are dead after a sightseeing airplane that took off in Pensacola, Florida, crashed in remote southwest Alabama.
  • "Sweet Home Alabama" Signs to Greet Drivers

    "Sweet Home Alabama" Signs to Greet Drivers

    Thursday, July 24 2014 10:00 AM EDT2014-07-24 14:00:22 GMT
    Tourists traveling into Alabama on interstate highways will soon be greeted by signs saying "Welcome to Sweet Home Alabama."
    Tourists traveling into Alabama on interstate highways will soon be greeted by signs saying "Welcome to Sweet Home Alabama."
Powered by WorldNow

555 Broadcast Dr,
Mobile AL 36606

Telephone: 251.479.5555
Fax: 251.473.8130
Email: news5@wkrg.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.