Family of Six Escapes House Fire

Family of Six Escapes House Fire

Posted: Updated:
MOBILE, Ala. -

Mobile Fire Rescue Department investigators are trying to figure out what sparked an early morning fire on Bishop Wilmer Drive off Dauphin Island Parkway. According to MFRD spokesman Steve Huffman, a 16-year old discovered the fire around 3:30am Thursday morning.

The teen woke up the rest of the family and she, an adult and four other children were able to escape to safety.

Huffman says it appears the fire started in the kitchen around the stove area. The adult says she lit a cigarette from a burner on the stove top. A pan of grease was sitting on the stove. Investigators believe the burner was left on and heated the grease, which then caused the fire.

Fire officials say the fire spread from the kitchen to the dining room, bedroom and into the attic, causing heavy smoke and heat damage, estimated at about $80,000.

The American Red Cross Gulf Coast Chapter is helping the family.

Powered by WorldNow

555 Broadcast Dr,
Mobile AL 36606

Telephone: 251.479.5555
Fax: 251.473.8130
Email: news5@wkrg.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.