Fort Bragg soldier killed in parachute accident

Fort Bragg soldier killed in parachute accident

Posted: Updated:
FORT BRAGG, N.C. -

A Fort Bragg soldier died when his parachute did not deploy.

The XVIII Airborne Corps soldier was killed while conducting an airborne training operation.

Fort Bragg says the incident is under investigation and additional information will be released pending next-of-kin notification. Fort Bragg did not say when the accident happened.

The soldier's death is the first in a parachute training accident in two years.

In a related accident, Staff Sgt. Jamal Clay died on June 25, 2011 when he fell 800 feet to his death during a training jump at Fort Bragg's Sicily Drop Zone.

Clay was a member of the 82nd Airborne Division. Officials said he died using one of the Army's newest parachutes. Early reports blamed a parachute malfunction for Clay's death.

Since then, Army officials changed training and how the parachute is packed.

RELATED STORIES

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Fifteen People Arrested In Prostitution Sting

    Fifteen People Arrested In Prostitution Sting

    Thursday, August 28 2014 5:36 PM EDT2014-08-28 21:36:02 GMT
    The Escambia Sheriff's Office Special Investigations Unit conducted an undercover sting operation
    The Escambia Sheriff's Office Special Investigations Unit conducted an undercover sting operation
  • Bengals Put QB McCarron on Injured List

    Bengals Put QB McCarron on Injured List

    Sunday, August 31 2014 2:28 PM EDT2014-08-31 18:28:09 GMT
    The Cincinnati Bengals put quarterback AJ McCarron on the injury list Saturday as they got down to the 53-man roster limit, making the fifth-round pick ineligible to practice for the first six weeks of the season.
    The Cincinnati Bengals put quarterback AJ McCarron on the injury list Saturday as they got down to the 53-man roster limit, making the fifth-round pick ineligible to practice for the first six weeks of the season.
  • Operation Button Pusher

    Operation Button Pusher

    Wednesday, August 27 2014 11:14 AM EDT2014-08-27 15:14:28 GMT

    Three-year joint drug investigation in Baldwin County ends with 24 people arrested and sentenced to federal prison

    Three-year joint drug investigation in Baldwin County ends with 24 people arrested and sentenced to federal prison

Powered by WorldNow

555 Broadcast Dr,
Mobile AL 36606

Telephone: 251.479.5555
Fax: 251.473.8130
Email: news5@wkrg.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.