New Medical Center and Retail Stores Headed to Saraland

New Medical Center and Retail Stores Headed to Saraland

Posted: Updated:

A toss of red dirt signaled the start of construction on a road widening project.

The project will convert highway 158 from two lanes to four lanes.  An undeveloped lot of 96 acres will soon be full of retail stores and an extension of Mobile Infirmary - giving Saraland it's own medical facility.

"We'll put in, what I call a super urgent care. You'll have expanded services, expanded hours," said Mark Nix, President and CEO of Infirmary Health Centers.

Developers say businesses will range from restaurants to office spaces. And that's welcomed news to residents like Joan Calvert who commutes outside the city to get most of what she needs.

"All the time. Just about everything you have to go out for. A little excited because I think it's going to bring some needed traffic.  Not necessarily car traffic, but hopefully good stores," said Calvert.

As for the type of businesses, the mayor says he's currently working to fill the space.

"We are in negotiations now to get this retails space sewn up as we develop it," said Mayor Howard Rubenstein.

Tree removal has already with the road project expected to be completed by next Spring. Developers say that's when they will start constructing the retails stores and the medical center. It's something state representative Napoleon Bracy says will benefit the city.

"Any type of commercial development that can help bring jobs in the area, people will start spending more, it will help the tax base, local community and also in the state," said Bracy.

The project carries a price tag of nearly 4 and a half million dollars. 80 percent of it was paid for with federal aid by the Alabama Department of Transportation's ATRIP program. The other 20 percent was raised by the developers, Mobile Infirmary and city and county officials.

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • AJ's Wedding Pictures Released

    AJ's Wedding Pictures Released

    Tuesday, September 16 2014 10:03 AM EDT2014-09-16 14:03:37 GMT
    Two months after their wedding, A.J. McCarron and Katherine Webb released their pictures to the entertainment show and website Extra.
    Two months after their wedding, A.J. McCarron and Katherine Webb released their pictures to the entertainment show and website Extra.
  • Police: Major Drug Dealer Arrested in Baldwin County

    Police: Major Drug Dealer Arrested in Baldwin County

    Tuesday, September 16 2014 3:20 PM EDT2014-09-16 19:20:18 GMT
    Police have arrested an illegal alien in Baldwin County following a 7 month investigation into the sale of cocaine and marijuana.
    Police have arrested an illegal alien in Baldwin County following a 7 month investigation into the sale of cocaine and marijuana.
  • "Pants Robbers" Identified by Police

    "Pants Robbers" Identified by Police

    Tuesday, September 16 2014 2:18 PM EDT2014-09-16 18:18:46 GMT
    Bodacius Denson, 21 (left) and Marquis Roper, 23 (right)Bodacius Denson, 21 (left) and Marquis Roper, 23 (right)
    The victim stated two subjects, one armed with a handgun, demanded his pants, which contained his wallet and property. 
    The victim stated two subjects, one armed with a handgun, demanded his pants, which contained his wallet and property. 
Powered by WorldNow

555 Broadcast Dr,
Mobile AL 36606

Telephone: 251.479.5555
Fax: 251.473.8130
Email: news5@wkrg.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.