Tracey W. Glover
Stuffed Bell Peppers
4 bell peppers (red, orange or yellow)
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1 small red onion, chopped
1 pint of grape tomatoes, washed and dried
1 1/2 cups of wild rice, rinsed
1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
1 teaspoon each of dry basil, thyme, oregano and sage
1/2 teaspoon of ground cumin
1/4 cup dry white wine
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Cut peppers in half vertically and scoop out the seeds.
3. Boil the rice according to directions on the package.
4. In a large skillet, heat enough olive oil over a high heat to just coat the pan.
5. Add the tomatoes, stirring occasionally until browned.
6. Add the white wine, garlic, rice, onion and herbs to the pan.
7. Cook on medium just enough to mix. Mix in pine nuts and let cool.
8. Coat a casserole dish with olive oil.
9. Place the pepper halves in dish and stuff with filling.
10. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
For an even heartier dish, add some beans or crispy pan seared tempeh.
Lima Bean Soup
*beans need to be soaked overnight
2 Cups dried lima beans*
2 tsp salt
A good handful of fresh parsley (or 2 tbsp dried parsley)
2 tsp dried oregano
Handful fresh dill weed
½ tsp coarse ground black pepper
1 Tbs vegetable broth
5 green onions, chopped
1 celery rib, chopped
1 sm garlic clove, minced
1 cup soy milk
1 ½ Tbs. white or yellow miso paste
Soak beans overnight. Drain beans and then return to a large pot, and cover with broth. Bring to a boil and reduce heat. Cook on medium for 10 minutes. Add salt, parsley, oregano, dill, and pepper. Simmer for about 1 ½ hours or until lima beans are very tender. Remove two cups of soup and puree in blender (or if using hand blender, leave in pot and puree same amount). Return pureed beans to pot. Continue to simmer.
Sauté onions and celery in broth for 3 minutes. Add garlic and sauté for 1 more minute. Add sautéed vegetables to beans along with soy milk. Simmer for at least 15 more minutes.
When almost ready to serve, place miso in a small bowl. Add 1/3 cup of water and mix to form a smooth paste. Add this to the soup and mix well. Heat thoroughly for 1 or 2 minutes but do not return to boil.
555 Broadcast Dr,
Can't find something?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2013 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.