Landfill Opponents Going To Court

Landfill Opponents Going To Court

Posted: Updated:

This old "No Dump" sign on Highway 41 may be broken in the middle--and chipped up top but the message remains the same for the people fighting a proposed landfill.

 

"This fight is not yet won our court hearing is next Tuesday we feel like we will prevail but you never know when you go to court so you have to keep fighting to the very end," says the chairman of Citizens for a Clean Southwest Alabama "Doc" George Jervey.  The landfill fight started in 2006.  A lot has changed since then.  Two years ago the Conecuh County commission voted three to five to approve the land fill project.  A year later four new commissioners were voted into office.  Johnny Andrews is one of those new commissioners and was in charge of the citizens group before taking office.

 

 "I think the ruling will turn out to be that the decision made by the former county commission was arbitrary and capricious they acted in their own interest, not in the interest of the people of their own county," says Conecuh County Commissioner Johnny Andrews.  In a fight that's lasted nearly seven years many of the opponents of this landfill say they're feeling confident.  A statewide moratorium on new landfills expires in May of next year.  In addition to asking the judge to overturn the previous county commission vote activists want the landfill owner to release names of its investors.

 

"When you're fighting a battle, don't you want to know who your enemies are, you have to know so you can combat the situation," says Repton Mayor Terri Carter.  A judge hears arguments on both issues Tuesday morning at 10 in Evergreen.  We reached out to Conecuh Woods LLC but didn't get a response. 

Powered by WorldNow

555 Broadcast Dr,
Mobile AL 36606

Telephone: 251.479.5555
Fax: 251.473.8130
Email: news5@wkrg.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.