Happy 40th Birthday to the Cell Phone

Happy 40th Birthday to the Cell Phone

Posted: Updated:

It's hard to believe cell phones have been around for 40 years.

They've become a staple in society, and to some, a life necessity.

"If I didn't have my cell phone, I'd probably go nuts because I couldn't get on the Internet," says Kristina Friend of Mobile.

We can all thank Martin Cooper, who made the first call from a cell phone on April 3, 1973.

The phone he used only weighed about 2 and a half pounds, and it had a battery life of a whopping 20 minutes.

The evolution of the cell phone has been fast-paced.

A lot of us remember the "Zack Morris phone," also known as The Brick.

Clarence Jones of Pascagoula, Mississippi had one of those phones. He'd take it back in a heart beat.

"Oh I loved that phone. You used to look so cool walking around with it," said Jones.

Similar to the one Cooper used, that phone had a battery life of about 30 minutes, 20 large buttons, and a long antenna.

In 1989-- the first flip phone was introduced with the Motorola Microtac.

Who can forget the Nokia? And the one thing everyone remembers if for-- the game, "Snake."

In 1998, the Nokia had a talk time of about 3 hours.

In 2007, Apple introduced the game changer... the Iphone-- and since it can do just about anything, most of us don't even use it for the purpose cells phones were even invented for back in 1973.

16% of cell phone owners actually use their phones for conversation. The other 84% say they use their phones for texting, web browsing, social media, and navigation.

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Bengals Put QB McCarron on Injured List

    Bengals Put QB McCarron on Injured List

    Sunday, August 31 2014 2:28 PM EDT2014-08-31 18:28:09 GMT
    The Cincinnati Bengals put quarterback AJ McCarron on the injury list Saturday as they got down to the 53-man roster limit, making the fifth-round pick ineligible to practice for the first six weeks of the season.
    The Cincinnati Bengals put quarterback AJ McCarron on the injury list Saturday as they got down to the 53-man roster limit, making the fifth-round pick ineligible to practice for the first six weeks of the season.
  • Fifteen People Arrested In Prostitution Sting

    Fifteen People Arrested In Prostitution Sting

    Thursday, August 28 2014 5:36 PM EDT2014-08-28 21:36:02 GMT
    The Escambia Sheriff's Office Special Investigations Unit conducted an undercover sting operation
    The Escambia Sheriff's Office Special Investigations Unit conducted an undercover sting operation
  • Study: Alabama's 15 Most Dangerous Cities

    Study: Alabama's 15 Most Dangerous Cities

    Wednesday, August 27 2014 12:10 PM EDT2014-08-27 16:10:58 GMT
    Only one city in southern Alabama in among the state's 15 most dangerous and it's not even in the top 10, according to a new report.
    Only one city in southern Alabama in among the state's 15 most dangerous and it's not even in the top 10, according to a new report.
Powered by WorldNow

555 Broadcast Dr,
Mobile AL 36606

Telephone: 251.479.5555
Fax: 251.473.8130
Email: news5@wkrg.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.