Pensacola, Fla. (WKRG) - Elderly residents across Escambia County who can't afford to heat their homes are getting some extra help.
Josh Newby with the Council on Aging says they provide free space heaters to their clients who need them.
Ethel Mae George is 80-years-old and says she can't afford to heat her home. She says she has to keep towels under her windows to keep the cold air out.
"Gulf Power just keeps going up and up on my bills," George said. "I got a 100 and something dollar gas bill today."
George says her daughter reached out to the Council on Aging after she noticed how cold she was. She says the space heater provides a bit of relief during the frigid temperatures.
"I'm so thankful," George said. "I really appreciate it and I thank the lord that my daughter saw how cold I was and went and asked someone for help."
Newby says the council has been going through a lot of space heaters. He says sometimes they even have to turn people down since they rely on donations from the community.
- Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Judge grants bond for Trinity Gardens shooting suspects
- Bond revoked for Trinity Gardens Parade shooting suspect
- Popular restaurant, Cook Out, coming to Mobile
- BREAKING: Citronelle Police investigate body found on Deer Chase N