WROC - ROCHESTER, N.Y. (WROC-TV) - A mother has pleaded not guilty to murder in the second degree in connection with the drowning death of her 10-day-old son.
Officers arrived on scene at 31 Locust St. around 2:30 p.m. Monday for the report of an unresponsive baby. The baby, Jeremiah, was immediately transported to Rochester General Hospital where he was pronounced dead.
Markiya Mitchell, 25, admitted to investigators that she intentionally drowned her son in the bathtub with the purpose of ending his life.
According to the felony complaint, Mitchell filled the tub with 8 to 10 inches of bath water and left him submerged for 1 to 2 hours.
Police say Mitchell has a 7-year-old child who is currently being taken care of by a family member.
Mitchell is being held in Monroe County Jail without bail. She will appear in court Friday at 10:30 a.m. for a preliminary hearing.
- Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Live Traffic Blog: Jan. 17
- Winter Weather Viewer Photos
- ROAD CONDITIONS: Road closures due to winter weather
- Fatal head-on collision involving 18-wheeler on Hwy 43 in Saraland