GEORGE COUNTY, Miss. (WKRG) - A Theodore woman and her 5-year old son died in a car crash on Saturday in George County, Mississippi.
The Mississippi Highway Patrol says the crash took place on eastbound Highway 98 around 8:55 p.m.
Kayla Gollotte first heard the news from her father.
“It just didn’t seem real, I didn’t want to believe it,” says Gollotte.
According to Mississippi Highway Patrol, Gollotte’s sister, 20-year-old Abigail Dehollander was driving her 1998 Lexus westbound in the eastbound lane of Highway 98, and crashed head-on with a Chevy Tahoe. The Tahoe overturned and both vehicles caught fire.
“She apparently, they said she must have gotten turned around and gotten to the wrong side of the road,” says Gollotte.
Abigail and Alex were killed instantly.
“She was just so happy, bubbly, funny, she loved to make people laugh.”
What hurts most is losing two people that were so loved.
“He loved learning how to spell his name, he thought it was so awesome that he knew how to spell his name now. He loved cars, Lightning McQueen was his favorite!”
Abigail’s 2-year-old son, Alonzo, was flown to USA Medical Center. He suffered a broken arm, a concussion, and several scrapes and bruises, but he’s going to be ok. One silver lining to the tragedy.
“I just want her to call me or text me or come walking through my door again,” says Gollotte.
To make matters even more difficult, they have to raise $17,000 by Thursday in order to pay for both funerals. To donate, click the GoFund Me link here.
Mississippi Highway Patrol are continuing to investigate the incident.
People shaving their heads in support...
Education and budget
Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- VIDEO: Investigation underway after possible beer bottle spotted in patrol car
- Irvington Family recovering after fire destroys home, kills dog
- Faith Time: serving needy in south Mobile County
- MFRD battles early morning fire
- Fairhope PD reminds Arts and Crafts visitors to legally park
- Child porn arrest made in Silverhill
- Alabama lawmakers consider making daylight saving time permanent
- Man killed in Baldwin County crash
- OCSO reports busy St. Patrick's day with 14 spring break arrests
- UPDATE: Mississippi man found floating unresponsive in Gulf dies
- Florida deputy involved in crash, cited for not stopping at red light
- Police: Crestview shooting victims seek help at Waffle House