MOBILE, AL (WKRG) -- Authorities have arrested a man accused of burning an American flag and setting fire to his apartment in Mobile.
Ibrahim Alohali, 27, claimed he had explosive devices in his home at the Rosewood Apartment complex when he was taken into custody Monday night.
According to a press release, authorities responded to a structure fire at 6601 Old Shell Road around 8:00pm. Investigators say Alohali had burned an American flag and set fire to his home.
When officers arrived on the scene, Alohali said there were explosives in his apartment, prompting the complex to be evacuated.
Alohali, from Saudi Arabia, is charged with Arson, Making Terrorist Threats, and Desecrating the U.S. Flag. News 5 is told he attempted suicide before his arrest by drinking bleach, but was unsuccessful.
The University of South Alabama has confirmed to News 5 that Alohali is an enrolled student at their institution. He is currently a senior studying Health Sciences.
- Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- What's Working: Little Gym Helping Kids Stay Active and Use their Brains
- Community helps Murphy High School student whose house caught fire
- Positive flu tests surpass 2017 total in Mobile County
- Two Mobile County men charged in ID theft case, car break-in