Local News

Mobile Home Fire In Wilmer; Home A Total Loss

Wilmer, AL (WKRG) - A mobile home in Wilmer is a total loss after a fire this morning.

Fire crews responded to the home on Albert Evans & Grady Dunn Road in Wilmer just before 8:30.

No deaths or injuries were reported as the homeowner was able to escape the fire.  It is believed an electrical fire was sparked when the wrong type of extension cord was used to try and power a space heater.  Homeowner Antwyne Campbell says he just feels lucky to be alive.

"It was really scary because it was the first time I've experienced something like that, I mean I lost everything," said Campbell.  He says one of his heaters went out so he tried to plug in another but the extension cord may have not been up to carrying the power load. Campbell said he tried to fight it but had to run to survive.

"As soon as it got into the ceiling I knew it was time to go, but by the time the help got here it was too late," said Campbell.  Fires this time of year are a reminder to be careful when trying to warm your home.

"If you're going to use an extension cord use them to where they're big enough they'll hold the power and keep the space heaters away from blankets or any kind of bedspreads stuff like that," said Wilmer Volunteer Fire Chief Mike Cooper.  No one was hurt in the fire. Fire officials in Wilmer say plummeting temperatures often result in a slight increase in calls for fires started when people take extra measures to stay warm.  Cooper says always make sure you're using the right extension cord when using high powered devices like space heaters. Keep fireplaces and heaters clear of anything that might catch fire--two to three feet away.


Mobile County

Baldwin County

Northwest Florida